The Navy Fleet consists of more than 300 ships and 4,100 aircraft, and each of them is outfitted with the most sophisticated computer hardware and software available today. Sailors in the computer field install, operate, and maintain the Navy’s high-tech systems in order to uphold everyday operations of the fleet, as well as promote national security.
What Will You Do?
Often armed with highly classified and technical information, individuals in the computer field are focused on maintaining, operating, and repairing state-of-the-art computer and electronics equipment. As part of this occupational specialty, you might also:
- Evaluate intercepted radar signals to determine their origin
- Identify sounds produced by ships, torpedoes, submarines, sonar transmissions, marine life, and natural phenomena
- Track surface and subsurface targets
- Operate underwater communications equipment
- Work with highly classified and technical material
- Provide technical and communications support to the fleet
- Collect and analyze electronic signals
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance on state-of-the-art equipment
Skills and Training
Fields in information technology involve a high level of responsibility and maturity in dealing with highly technical systems and classified information. Individuals can receive broad Navy training in the operation, maintenance, and repair of complicated computers and electronics.
Your training may also prepare you for the following future civilian careers:
- Computer Operator
- Computer Programmer
- Computer Systems Administrator
- Database Administrator
- Data Communications Analyst
- Computer Systems Hardware Analyst
- Computer Scientist
- Electronic Intelligence Operations Specialist
- Oceanographer Assistant
Earn College Credits
Most of the training in this field qualifies for college credit. You may have the opportunity to continue your education through various college programs and the Navy Tuition Assistance Program. Advanced training may be available in computers and electronics. Other incentives for qualified individuals in the computer field may include receiving pay and benefits while attending college full-time.
Today’s modern world is entirely dependent on computers and technology. Training in this field could be your ticket to a great job due to the huge demand for employees with computer expertise. Your training could be extensive, from hands-on experience operating communications systems to highly technical training in database design to operational training on underwater systems. Skills in the computer field will equip you for countless jobs in high-tech industry.